Right to Education
Right to Education
UPDATE: although the financial target for the crowdfunding campaign has been reached, the total project needs € 100.000. Therefore every additional donation is still most welcome and will certainly come to good use!
For the latest news and updates on the research, see: www.childrensrightsresearch.com.
Every child has the right to an education. But not all children go to school. In fact, there are 59 million children per year who do not even attend primary education. Who are these children? And why do they not go to school? What does the right to education really mean in practice?
Answering these questions will help ensure the child's rights to education. This is why we need research. PLEASE HELP to make this research possible. Contribute now, even a small contribution makes a big difference!
NOTE: Donations can be made by contributors anywhere in the world, in any currency. It will be displayed in Euros.
The research is an interdisciplinary research, which consists for an important part of field research. The case study of the child's right to education is part of a four year PHD research on children's rights by philosopher Marieke Hopman.
Philosopher Marieke Hopman (1988) graduated in 2014 when she completed a research on children's rights, including field research on the case study of child soldiers in Rwanda and the Netherlands. This research has resulted in, amongst others:
- Masterscriptie "Childhood and Children's Rights, including a case study of child combatants in Rwanda and the Netherlands"
- De Jong, S., Hopman, M.J., Ravensbergen, A., de Kat, H., Hanson, E. (2014). The Dutch NGO-report 2014 on the implementation of the Optional Protocol to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child on the Involvement of children in Armed Conflicts (OPAC). Leiden: Dutch NGO Coalition for Children’s Rights.
- Van Dijk, M. (2014). Hoe Defensie kindsoldaten ronselt (“How the ministry of Defence recruites child soldiers”). Vrij Nederland, 2014, No. 39
You can find a cv including a complete list of publications here.
CONTACT Marieke Hopman:
email@example.com - Tel: +31638162791 - https://nl.linkedin.com/in/mariekehopman
The following people support this research:
- Em. Prof. Dr. Jan Pronk – Former Minister of Development, The Netherlands
- Dr. Phil Clark – Researcher International Politics, SOAS university London
- Dr. Hans van Driel – Assistant Professor, Tilburg University
- Marc Dullaert – Children's Ombudsman
- Prof. Mr. Dr. Nick Huls – Professor Sociology of Law Leiden university
- Prof. Dr. Philip Eijlander – Rector Magnificus Tilburg University
- Saskia Immens – Project Manager Wetenschapsknooppunt Brabant
- Prof. Dr. Rianne Letschert – Director INTERVICT
- Aloys van Rest – Director Defence for Children
- Nigel Cantwell – Researcher Children's Rights